14.12. Extract Data in Looker Studio
In Looker Studio, extracting data is a useful way to increase report loading and refreshing speed. Unlike other data connectors, the Extract Data connector doesn't directly connect to any third-party data source. Instead, it uses one of your existing data sources to extract a subset of data, which can be refreshed periodically. This method is leveraged to improve response times in your reports.
Extract Data for Enhanced Speed
To find the Extract Data feature, go to the Resources > Manage Data Sources > Add Data Source section in Looker Studio. The Extract Data feature asks you to connect to one of your existing data sources, allowing you to extract the dimensions and metrics of your choice. The data extracts can be set to update daily, weekly, or monthly.
Data freshness plays a key role in ensuring report accuracy and usability. For instance, Google Analytics data freshness can be significantly affected by user-based segment processing. Data extraction can help mitigate this issue, as the extracted data is stored in Looker Studio's BigQuery account.
When blending data sources, the blend should satisfy the data freshness requirements of all individual sources. By blending data sources with BigQuery, you can significantly reduce data freshness intervals, enabling faster report updates.
Limitations and Best Practices
While using the Extract Data feature can optimize report loading times, the extracted tables can have some limitations:
- Maximum table size is 100 MB.
- Data freshness can be delayed by up to a day, as the feature only extracts data up to a certain point, depending on how often the data is set to refresh.
To maximize the benefits of the Extract Data feature, use these best practices:
- Identify charts or chart groups that can be powered by a limited number of dimensions and several metrics, then extract that dataset.
- Manage and organize your extracted data sources for optimal performance and readability.
- Always create reports with live data first, then refine them based on client feedback before optimizing with extracted data.
In conclusion, extracting data in Looker Studio can help speed up your reports by using data stored in BigQuery. It provides a more efficient way to ensure data freshness and reduces report loading time for a better user experience. Keep in mind the limitations and best practices to effectively utilize the Extract Data feature in your Looker Studio reports.