8.4. Dimension Color Management in Looker Studio
Ensuring Consistent Usage of Colors
Learn the importance of using consistent colors for the same entities across different charts in a report.
Using consistent colors for the same entities, such as countries or devices, across different charts in a report helps reduce confusion for the viewer. It's essential to manage colors in Data Studio effectively to maintain consistency.
Dimension Color Values
Understand how to use dimension values to manage colors in Data Studio.
Looker Studio has a feature called Dimension Values that allows you to manage colors for different dimensions consistently. To use Dimension Values, follow these steps:
- In your report, click on the "Style" tab for any chart.
- Navigate to the "Dimension Values" section.
- Select the dimension you want to manage colors for (e.g., Canada or United States).
- Choose a color for each dimension you want to customize.
Applying Dimension Color Values to Charts
Learn how to apply dimension values to charts to ensure consistent color usage.
Once you've set your preferred colors for dimensions using Dimension Values, you'll need to apply these colors to your charts. To do this:
- Select a chart in your report.
- In the chart's Style settings, look for the "Color By" option.
- Change the "Color By" setting from "Series Order" to "Dimension Values."
By setting your charts to use Dimension Values, you'll ensure that they display consistent colors for the same entities throughout your report.
Dimension Color Management is an essential aspect of creating visually consistent and easy-to-understand reports in Data Studio. By using Dimension Values to manage colors and applying them to your charts, you can create reports that maintain consistent color usage for the same entities, making it easier for viewers to comprehend the data presented.